Monday, January 24, 2011

Plans re: plastic surgery

I wasn't real clear on how I planned to proceed when it came to the plastic surgery. I'm going to get a medical necessity letter from both the surgical center and my primary care physician. The surgeon said the best-case scenario is that insurance may (very big may) pay for a tuck/skin removal of the lower abdomen, but not the upper abdomen. If the two are done separately--and they can be--that would require two procedures and could result in more scarring, weird skin lumps and bumps, etc. There are worse things; (a) I'm not a model, and (b) if I can get insurance to pay for any of this, of course, that's the route I will take because it makes the most sense financially. I hate to think of incurring more debt. However, if we end up having to private pay the $9K, it would eliminate the hospital stay and include the liposuction, body sculpting, etc. (Mr. Salted's reaction almost made me weep. I said "nine thousand" and he didn't even blink. "We can do that," he said. "We'll find a way. It's like a car loan. We knew this would happen. You're worth it, you know." ??????)

I know insurance will cover the breast reduction--I have all that documentation--and I can take care of that at some point when this is all done. The stomach is bothering me a lot more.

3 comments:

HOA Mgr Lady said...

Hi
Are you concerned at all about the PAIN assciated with the surgery? I have similar issues to you. (Upper stomach and lower tummy tucks Who knew?)
I have lots of skin and both my Dr.s have said I need both breast and stomach surgery but I am very very concerned about pain. I was out of the office for 8 weeks with my by pass although admittedly a lot of that had to do with my intense nausea. How can I justify it again? ugh!

Salted with Shadows said...

Hi--not really, they give you lots of drugs. I had an abdominal hysterectomy and I figure nothing is going to hurt worse than that did--I was out for six weeks with it. I don't think of it as having to be justified, just as taking care of myself and how much better I'm going to feel when it's all over. I don't want to cart all this extra skin around. It isn't like you HAVE to have it removed, though! A lot of people don't and are fine with it.

HOA Mgr Lady said...

Hi agian. Yes you are right I would also feel so much better with the surgery too. Drugs... okay and my Dr. said this surgery should be alot easier than the bypass as I need to remember that they rearranged by guts (My primaryDr said this). Keep us posted! Also thanks for the info on the 2 differet surgeries.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.