Sunday, January 25, 2009

Going off Ambien CR

I decided this evening that I am just going to quit taking Ambien. I forgot to bring any with me when I went to visit my friends out of town last night, just toughed it out and tried to doze a bit with the Ipod on my special insomnia/quiet playlist. I didn't sleep all night.

When I got home today, I thought: why am I taking this stuff? I've been taking it for years, and it's not helping me much. I'm eating in the middle of the night, and I definitely don't need THAT. (I can imagine the complications that could cause over and above potential weight gain, particularly post-op when some foods are going to make me sick--I'm going to want to remember what they are so I don't eat them again.)

So, I'm awake for the second night in a row. I'd rather just stop taking Ambien and have a bad day or two, not have it in my body, and not pay for it--even with insurance, it is not cheap. I was also reading online tonight about some of the side effects others have had with it, both while taking it and while trying to discontinue its use. I have escaped unscathed compared to many of these folks.

I just hope I will be able to sleep at some point before too much longer.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.