Thursday, May 14, 2009

Susan Maria Leach, "Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery"

I've been feeling much less "jaggedy" today, thankfully. I've been reading "Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Susan Maria Leach, which I guess is one of the hallmark books in the WLS canon, so to speak. I really liked the first 100 or so pages, which mostly consisted of her journal and journey to before and after, an FAQ-type deal, and the first protein shake recipes. She lost me a bit on her recipe recipes, though. I don't cook at all and am far from a "foodie".(I was serious when I asked why can't I just eat baby food with protein powder. If food's only going to be fuel, do I really care anymore?) She still has great suggestions and insights and it's definitely a valuable book for someone going throught this process--I'm going to get my own copy soon (my nutritionist lent me this one). I think it's definitely worth reading for anyone considering weight-loss surgery. She has a website at http://www.bariatriceating.com/ that looks like a great resource, not only for recipes and such but also because she test-drives protein bars and things like that. I'm really glad that so many things can be ordered online--many products seem to only be carried in the most out-of-the-way places.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.