Saturday, February 21, 2009

Strength training and salsa workout DVD


Today I started at home with the strength training exercises. He gave me a sheet and we went over how to do them all at my last appointment. I bought an exercise ball and some two-pound weights; my exercises consisted of a dumbbell shoulder press where I push up; a two-handed dumbbell row where I get in linebacker position and lean over while rowing backward with both arms (this one was hard because I feel like I'm going to tip over); a couple of hip abduction exercises (basically leg lifts where I lean up against a counter, one with heel in, one with heel out); a standing bicep curl with the weights; and a standing leg curl, which is basically the bicep curl with the legs. He also wants me to do a ball squat with the exercise ball, but that one's really painful for the knees and you feel like you are going to lose your balance at all times, since you are leaning against the wall with most of your weight on the exercise ball and moving down the wall into a squat and back up again. I am supposed to do the strength exercises 2 or 3 times a week with 15 reps of each, 2 sets, and 30 seconds in between sets.

My cats seemed particularly disturbed by the bicep stuff; I think the weights freak them out. (Of course, it takes very little to freak them out.)

Yesterday I did my salsa workout DVD for the first time; it's something like "Sizzlin' Salsa Dance off the Inches". There's a 17-minute section with the steps done slowly and then moving up to tempo--mambo, Latin twist, cha cha, hip roll, etc. Lots of hip movement; I could really feel it there. It was fun, but I was glad no one could see me doing it, and I think it will be a lot easier when I'm lighter. Of course, all physical activity will. Today? I hurt like hell.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.