Monday, March 9, 2009

Nutritionist appointment

Just got back from nutritionist appointment #3. I lost (get ready for it) ONE (1) WHOLE FREAKIN' ENTIRE POUND. Two months = five WHOLE FREAKIN' ENTIRE pounds. To spare the expense of paying for a skywriter, whoomp! there it is. A concrete illustration of the reality of insulin resistance, sleep deprivation's effect on the cortisol hormones (I did not sleep one minute last night, fyi), and why I need medical intervention. 60 !@#$%^&* days, and I would say I deprived myself of anything that tasted really good for at least 55 of them.

I do like the nutritionist. She's easy to talk to, reasonable, and realistic. I forgot to turn my phone off and got a text during the appointment--the text ringtone is "Bust a Move", so she started dancing to it in her chair and we had a giggle. She didn't give me too much guff about that ridiculous craving assignment--she said a lot of people didn't even try to do it, at least I had tried. (I didn't try all that hard, it took all my energy to hold back the bile, but she didn't have to know that. I take my positive strokes where I can get 'em.)

She praised my food diary, which I have kept faithfully (grumblegrumblegrumble) and added caloric content when I had it. She recommended a couple of websites, calorieking.com and fitday.com, that have calorie counts on them. The new assignment is to incorporate more protein into the diet and begin to calculate that.

Protein becomes extremely important because immediately after surgery you are only taking in 400-600 calories per day. Post-bypass, the recommended protein intake is 60-80 grams of protein per day, which is a LOT. You're supposed to eat all the protein you need in a day before you eat anything else. I think the low-sugar Instant Breakfast and I are going to become even better friends than we already are. Apparently Atkins makes some protein drinks, and there is one called Muscle Milk that they sell at Costco and Super Supplements. SlimFast and Ensure have too much sugar (I thought I was the only person in the world who gained weight on SlimFast; now I know why I did). Milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, meat, tuna, tofu, peanut butter, nuts, beans, peas, lentils, cheese. She gave me a protein foods list with happy Clip Art illustrations of happy, happy food. Happy.

We talked about the water-drinking requirements for post-op. I'm drinking enough water, it's just how I drink it that is going to be different. You have to drink 16 ounces of water half an hour before eating, not drink anything while you eat, eat the protein first, drink 16 ounces of water after you eat.

We discussed the dreaded dumping syndrome, or specifically, sugar and dumping syndrome. I'll have to post more about dumping syndrome when I have the fortitude to research it further and make an articulate blog entry with some good information in it. Basically from what I gather, if you eat too much sugar, fat, and grease post-gastric bypass, you'll get violently sick. People don't know what foods are going to trigger dumping until they've had the surgery, though some have proven to be universal, and sugar is one of them. Simple sugars are apparently a huge culprit, so even the sugar-free chocolate isn't so hot because the sweeteners used in making it--the sugar alcohol derivatives, such as sorbitol--are catalysts for dumping syndrome. Splenda and aspartame sweeteners do not pose a problem.

She told me I won't be able to use chocolate to cope anymore. She wasn't mean about it, it was just a statement of fact. I told her I seriously thought I was going to need some kind of rehab. She gave me a food addiction website to look at and some sample questions to ask counselors if I got to the point where I could afford to see one. Since money is an issue, maybe a support group would at least provide some balm. It's not the amount of food or even the type of food I eat; it's the relationship I have with it. It sounds so trivial and silly, but it's a very real concern.

Tomorrow, the exercise physiologist. I'm so thrilled (NOT). It looks like I have to see him every time I see her, so, once a month. I'm not doing any more than I have to, and I told them that today.

Re: the disputed psych eval payment--I had to eat the $220 written report fee, but the billing person spent a good half hour on the phone with my insurance while I was there, who are now "reprocessing" the claim for the remaining $300.

Oh yeah, and it's snowing. WTF?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.