Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saturday 9: Rain

1. What do you typically like to do on a rainy day?

I actually love rain, particularly if I don't have to go out in it. I love the sound on the roof in the morning; staying in bed with that sound overhead is lovely. Usually I read, write, or watch movies or TV, preferably with Mr. Salted and/or a cat or two nearby.

2. Tell us about the last time you did something you later regretted, that you can share with us.

I can't think of anything I really regret. Regret is a waste of time; I try to learn from every experience, good or bad, and actually apply the lesson I learn thereafter.

3. I recently got an email from a lover from a very long time ago. I was asked "Have all your dreams come true?" If it were you and it was from someone you remember fondly, how would you answer the question?

I would say I was happier than I have ever been and that Mr. Salted is everything I could want in a life partner, but I'm not done dreaming about other areas of my life (and neither is he!). We often dream out loud together.

4. If you had a job interview and was asked, "If you were an animal, what kind would you be (other than human?" How would you answer that question.

I've been asked that question in a job interview, and I'm convinced it's a trap. I'd either be a lion or an owl.

5. Do you think it is a good idea to share with a new lover stories of your past lovers?

I think it's good to be open and honest, but the past is the past; I, for one, prefer not to marinate in it.

6. When do you think it is permissible or even important to lie?

Preventing someone from being unnecessarily hurt. That's about all I can think of.

7. What was the last thing you did that you never thought you would?


Our trip to Mexico--I never thought in a million years I would get to do something like that. I really hope we are able to do a lot more traveling.

8. What is one important lesson that you learned from your mother?

She died when I was two--all I could have learned was how to ache. I think living with that huge grief all of my conscious life made me old before my time in both good and bad ways. I have been able to comfort others and comfort myself because of this reality, but I also feel like I was born tired. I knew because I didn't have her that I was on my own pretty much from day one. No one can love you like a good parent.

9. What is one important lesson that you learned from your father?


I learned about neglect, hurt, disappointment, and terror. I also learned to come out swinging, HARD, because I was NOT going to let him--or anyone--break me. Like the song says, "Thanks for making me a fighter." It would have been nice not to have to fight quite as hard for so long, and I have paid for it in a variety of ways--but I also know the satisfaction of being a 100% self-made person. Not many people do; it is a hard-won gift.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.