Saturday, August 29, 2009

Status, almost 30 days post-op

...yes, I am losing weight at the rate of a pound per day. I know this speedy weight loss is not going to go on forever. I think it lasts the first four months or something like that. Just in time for me to get my ankle fixed so I can work out!

I can really see why this surgery works: I just don't eat. I don't really want to. You have to cause yourself major pain and agony to stretch the stomach pouch and eat sugar/rich/greasy/fatty foods often enough (each time with the accompanying agony) to stretch the pouch and gain the weight back. I can't speak for other people who have had this surgery, but food just doesn't look or sound terribly appealing to me anymore. I even bought my granny a bag of bite-size Milky Ways at her request--they are sitting in my living room (I'm taking them to her tomorrow) and they do not tempt me in the slightest. I have fallen into another alternate reality--we're speaking of a person who used to say Hostess was her heroin.

I don't know what's normal, or if there is a normal, but my body is still happiest just drinking protein shakes. Every time I eat something more like people food, I get some stomach discomfort. I have been in major stomach discomfort most of the day and it was either caused by a mocha latte' Muscle Milk Light or 1/2 of a light breakfast taco that had some eggs, some chicken bacon, and green onions in it. And I drank water with it. I don't know what I can do for stomach discomfort...I don't think they make liquid Zantac. They have me on prescription-strength Prilosec (omeprazole) in the mornings. (Mr. Salted takes 20 mg, I take 40.)

I have felt sick from cheese. I have felt sick from fruit. I have gotten really sick from both meat and eggs. My body basically likes nothing but protein shakes in a can or little juice box-like thing. Fortunately, I have all these vitamin supplements and shakes, but can I live on them forever? If I can and be healthy, fine. I can live with that. I'm just worried about the health ramifications.

I'm glad I see the nutritionist Monday.

The good news is: I haven't taken any pain meds for a couple of days. The abdominal incision/bruising healing seems to have turned a corner for the better.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
This blog focuses largely on a personal journey to and through weight-loss surgery. It's also about reading, writing, animals, photography, love, humor, music, thinking out loud, and memes. In other words...life.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.